- The State Board is responsible for the assessment and collection of Pay As You Earn and other personal Income Tax.
- Ensuring the effectiveness and optimum collection of all taxes and penalties due to government
- Doing all things as may be deemed necessary and expedient for the assessment and collection of accounts for all amounts so collected in a manner to be prescribed by the commissioner.
- Making recommendation, where appropriate, to the JTB on tax reforms, tax legislation, tax treaties and exemptions as may be required from time to time
- Generally controlling the management of the State service on matters of policy subject to the provision of the law setting up the State service.
- Appointing, promoting, transferring and imposing discipline on employees of the state service.